Close reading questions for:
By Lev Manovich
From The Language of New Media
- What does Manovich say about the contrast between cinema and computer users?
- What are the 2 types of montage Manovich refers to? Why is montage important?
- What do you think Benjamin means when he says the camera can ‘pry an object from its shell’?
- According to Manovich, whose vision is it? What does it privilege?
- What does Manovich mean by ‘a database imagination’?
- What, according to Manovich, are the 3 levels of Man with A Movies Camera?
- What is the Kino-Eye? How does it offer new ways of seeing and thinking?
- Why does Vertov’s film have particular relevance to new media, according to Manovich?
- What ways is the film a database?
- What is the significance of the ‘loop’?
- What is the significance of the ‘spatial montage’?
- What is the cinema an interface to? [According to Manovich]
- What is Manovich attempting to do with this analysis of New Media?
- What is his methodology?
- What is his key conceptual tool?
- What are the 5 key concepts addressed in the book?
- Explain the concept of ‘information culture’?
- What is a new media object?
Find the answers to these question in the given texts and be prepared to discuss them in the seminar.
Also the 4th project The Podcast will be set for completion in week 9.